‘FAKE NEWS’ | MWSS: We did not close bypass serving Maynilad, Manila Water

4 days ago

MARCH 15, 2019 – An official from the Manila Water Sewerage System (MWSS) on Friday debunked information circulating on social media that the bypass valve serving Maynilad and Manila Water had been ordered closed.

“That is fake news. We did not order the closure of the portal,” MWSS Chief Regulator Patrick Ty said in a press briefing.

Screenshots of a Facebook comment exchange between Ty and a certain Angel Salazar, who claims to be a former long-time employee of MWSS, has been circulating online.

Salazar said that a bypass valve that splits water from reservoirs between Maynilad and Manila Water had been ordered closed by the MWSS.

The supposed former MWSS employee has also urged the regulator to reopen the bypass so as to end the now week-long Metro Manila water shortage.

But the MWSS official questioned this, saying closing the bypass valve would prevent water from Angat Dam from flowing to east zone concessionaire Manila Water.

“For the record, the bypass is open. If it is closed, Manila Water would not have water at all,” Ty said.

He assured the public that the MWSS is now coming up with medium- and long-term solutions to avoid a repeat of the water crisis which has been affecting thousands of consumers in Metro Manila and some neighboring areas.

“We hope for the understanding of the public and rest assured we are doing everything we can to alleviate the problem to ensure this will not happen again,” he said.

The said bypass valve splits the 4,000-million liters per day (mld) from the reservoir between Maynilad and Manila Water. The east zone concessionaire Manila Water gets 1,600 mld while west zone concessionaire Maynilad gets 2,400 mld.

“The bypass is always open to provide the 1,600 mld of Manila Water. The concessionaire is confirming that they have been receiving [the amount]. Maynilad also confirmed that,” he said.

The 4,000 mld capacity, Ty clarified, was due to infrastructure limitations.