‘FRUSTRATING’ | Sison slams Duterte for postponing peace talks

1 week ago

JUNE 14, 2018 – Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria Sison assailed President Rodrigo Duterte after Malacañang postponed the proposed resumption of peace negotiations between communist rebels and the government on June 28.

Sison urged the negotiating panels to release the agreements it signed last week.

“I urge the two negotiating panels to release to the public and to the press the written and signed agreements of June 9 and 10 signed by the chairmen of the [Government of the Republic of the Philippines]  and NDFP [National Democratic Front of the Philippines] negotiating panels and by the members of their respective special teams,” Sison said in a statement.

Sison has expressed disappointment and frustration over Duterte’s decision to delay the peace talks and said the government is not taking this issue seriously.

Presidential Adviser Jesus Dureza announced on Thursday that Duterte is not ready yet and needed more time before allowing the peace talks to continue.

Dureza, however, stressed that the schedule of peace talks will only be postponed, not cancelled.

Earlier this month, Duterte has invited Joma Sison several times to return to the Philippines and said he will give Sison two months to come up with a workable agreement.