Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: ABS-CBN FRANCHISE ISSUE | ABS-CBN publicly apologizes to Duterte over 2016 political ad issue
ABS-CBN FRANCHISE ISSUE | ABS-CBN publicly apologizes to Duterte over 2016 political ad issue
February 24, 2020 , 03:50 PM

(FEBRUARY 24, 2020) – The country’s largest broadcast network on Monday publicly apologized to President Rodrigo Duterte for its failure to air his 2019 presidential election political ad as senators grilled executives on allegations of franchise violations.

Carlo Katigbak, ABS-CBN president and chief executive officer, said the network does not intend to offend the president when it failed to air his ad and instead used another ad placed by a senator to adversely placed Duterte in a bad light.

“We’re sorry if we offended the President, that was not the intention of the network,” Katigbak said.

“We felt that we were just abiding by the laws and regulations that surround the airing of the political advertisements. ABS-CBN does not and will not have its own political agenda.”

Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo welcomed the apology, albeit noted it was overdue.

“I’m glad finally ABS-CBN has admitted its shortcomings to the President. Dapat noon pa nila ‘yun ginawa,” Panelo said in a briefing in Malacañang.

“I don’t know na kay President ‘yun [kung tatanggapin niya]. It’s personal to him.”.

Katigbak said the network returned a total of 7 million pesos worth of political ads after it failed to air the materials but it took too long to return a check valued about 2.6 million pesos.

“We acknowledge our shortcoming in our failure to release the refund on a timely” Katigbak said, assuring senators the network has “no political agenda” in choosing to air an ad from former senator Antonio Trillanes.

Katigbak said the president had bought the maximum 19 minutes worth of spots for national ads—those that are seen nationwide—amounting to 117 million pesos and two minutes of local ads worth about 65 million pesos seen only in specific provinces.

He said all the 117 million pesos worth of ads for nationwide broadcast had been consumed, but the case was not the same in local ads because telecast orders were put up ahead of the Duterte’s.

“Our policy on all our ads is first come first served, and many of these spots were ordered on a May 3rd, and May 7th was the last day of the campaign period,” Katigbak told the Senate inquiry.

“So there are had been many previous telecast orders that came in ahead of the President’s telecast order.”

ABS-CBN was able to initially refund P4 million, before the remaining P2.6 million—which the president did not accept, said Katigbak.

Senator Migz Zubiri said the president was not only politician who had the same problem with ABS-CBNmx sharing his own experience.

Senator Francis Pangilinan alson narrated a more recent experience, when the ads of opposition senatorial slate Otso Diretso were not aired in the crucial final days of campaign period.

Duterte’s ally, Senator Bong Go in the same public hearing questioned why the network was not able to air Duterte’s ad, and instead aired an opposition-funded material “meant to malign another candidate.”

“Hindi mababaw ang rason ng Pangulo sa kanyang grievances against the network. Nasaktan ang Presidente, nababoy ang Presidente,” Go said.

“This is very troublesome. Media networks are supposed to be neutral and impartial.”

Go was referring to an ad where children were apparently asking if a cursing and foul-mouthed candidate is a good example to them, while showing cut outs of Duterte’s controversial soundbytes.

Duterte’s then-runningmate Alan Peter Cayetano was able to secure a temporary restraining order from a Taguig court against the ad.

The network responded it has no political biases and only followed rules and regulations set by the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas.

Katigbak also narrated how an earlier version of the ad was rejected by the network’s ethics committee which supposedly showed children doing inappropriate action.

Katigbak cited Section 4 of the Fair Elections Act, which said a political advertisement can be “for or against” a candidacy.

At the end of public inquiry, it appeared the network had not done serious violations on its franchise that wod merit a shutdown but would be liable only for a fine of 200 pesos for every infractions based on a pre-war law.

Even Senator dela Rosa has changed its position to support the renewal of ABS-CBN franchise. (Randell Ritumalta/MM)

More From News5
Ex-FHM model sa drug buy-bust
Nasabat sa dating modelo ang ilang pakete ng shabu, ecstacy at pipe para sa liquid shabu na ibinibenta raw sa online store.
Published On: March 2, 2020
2020 Tokyo Olympics, tuloy sa kabila ng banta ng COVID-19
Tiniyak ng local organizers na handa silang protektahan kontra COVID-19 ang libu-libong atleta na lalahok sa Olympics. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Sen. Drilon, naghain ng concurrent resolution sa ABS-CBN franchise extension
Mas mabilis ang proseso sa concurrent resolution dahil pag-apruba lamang ng Kamara at Senado ang kailangan para mapalawig hanggang June 30, 2020 ang prangkisa ng ABS-CBN. | via Greg Gregorio. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Apology ng ABS-CBN, tinanggap na ni Duterte
Tinanggap na ni Pres. Duterte ang paumanhin ng ABS-CBN sa hindi nito pag-ere ng kanyang political advertisements noong 2016 elections. Natanong din siya tungkol sa quo warranto petition ng Office of the Solicitor General na pinapawalang bisa ang prangkisa ng broadcast network. | via Maricel Halili For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Jovie Espenido, 'cleared' na sa droga sa region 6
Nilinaw ng PNP na hindi pa final ang desisyon dahil sa isasailalim pa sa national level validation ang pagkakadawit ni P/Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido sa drug watchlist. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Pag-iingat ng simbahan vs. COVID-19 ngayong Semana Santa
Maraming simbahan ngayong Ash Wednesday ang ibinudbod sa bunbunan imbes na ipinahid sa noo ang abo bilang pag-iingat laban sa coronavirus disease. | via Jen Calimon. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Kinompronta ni Calida ang isang ABS CBN reporter
"Ikaw, lagi mo akong binabanatan ha." Kinompronta ni Solicitor General Jose Calida ang isang reporter ng ABS-CBN nang manghingi ito ng kopya ng petition for quo warranto para sa pagpapawalang-bisa ng prangkisa ng network.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Nilinaw ni Sec. Panelo ang naging confusion sa pagkansela sa VFA
Ipinaliwanag ni Sec. Salvador Panelo na nagkalituhan daw sa tenses na ginamit kaya magkaiba ang naging pahayag nila ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana tungkol sa pagpapasa ng termination notice ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa Amerika. Sinabi rin ni Panelo na mas mahalagang malaman na hindi magbabago ang isip ng Pangulo sa isyu.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng astronaut na bumalik sa mundo, gumawa ng record
328 na araw nananatili sa space ang American astronaut na si Christina Koch. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Inflation forecast para sa 2020, itinaas ng BSP
Posibleng pumalo sa 3% ang inflation o kabuuang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin at serbisyo ngayong taon, batay sa pagtataya ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Top Stories
CYBER ATTACK | Hackers linked to Iran target WHO amid coronavirus
By Joseph Menn, Christopher Bing, Raphael Satter, Jack Stubbs SAN FRANCISCO/WASHINGTON/LONDON (Reuters) – Hackers working in the interests of
Published On: April 2, 2020
BEIJING AID | Chinese medical team to help Philippines’ coronavirus fight
(April 2, 2020) – The Chinese Embassy in Manila said Thursday the medical team the Philippines requested for help in dealing with the coronav
Published On: April 2, 2020
RECORD HIGH | Indonesia virus death toll now highest in Asia outside China
By Maikel Jefriando and Bernadette Christina JAKARTA, April 2 (Reuters) – Indonesia’s coronavirus death toll rose to 170 on Thursday as
Published On: April 2, 2020
MASS TESTING | Gov’t wants expanded COVID-19 screening by mid-April
(April 2, 2020) – The Philippine government is eyeing to do mass testing for suspected coronavirus carriers by April 14, a senior administrat
Published On: April 2, 2020
‘FAKE NEWS’ | Palace denies Duterte hospitalized
(April 2, 2020) – Malacañang on Thursday denied rumors circulating on social media that President Rodrigo Duterte had been hospitalized at a
Published On: April 2, 2020