(AUGUST 14, 2019) – Vice President Leni Robredo on Tuesday said she was keeping her options open regarding the 2022 presidential race.
In an exclusive interview with Bloomberg TV, the 54-year-old lawyer said she has always been ready to take over the highest government position if the need arises.
“If you ask me now, I have no plans. But I’m leaving everything open,” Robredo said in an exclusive interview with Bloomberg TV.
Asked if she was ready for the job, she said: “I would not have ran for the vice presidency if I thought that I was not ready for the presidency.”
Robredo forayed into politics as congresswoman in 2013, a year after her husband and former interior secretary Jesse Robredo died in a plane crash.
In 2016, she defeated former senator Bongbong Marcos by more than 200,000 votes in the vice presidential polls, although an electoral protest filed by Marcos has not been settled yet.
In the same interview, Robredo reiterated that the presidency is a matter of destiny.
The vice president last June was quoted as saying, “Everything is possible. But it’s not something that is planned, I think it’s destiny.”
Also being floated as contender for the 2022 presidential race is Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.
In an interview earlier this month, the presidential daughter said she needs to “pray for wisdom” first before making a decision. (Winona Sadia/JMF)