Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: BRINGING HOME OFWs | Duterte promises not to abandon Filipinos in lockdown areas
BRINGING HOME OFWs | Duterte promises not to abandon Filipinos in lockdown areas
February 13, 2020 , 12:05 PM

FEBRUARY 13, 2020 – President Rodrigo Duterte assured Filipinos trapped in areas locked down by Chinese authorities that they will not be abandoned and will be brought home as death toll from a rapidly spreading virus continued to rise to more than 1,300 people.

The immensely popular leader, in a recorded video message by his communications office, said no one will be left behind and promised to bring them all home safe.

Thirty-two Filipinos from China was brought home on Sunday in a chartered flight from Wuhan, epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak which has infected more than 45,000 people in 25 countries around the world.

“To our kababayans who remain in lockdown areas in China, I assure you that the government is ready to bring you home if you want,” Duterte said, in a more serious tone, a complete departure from his curse-laden public speeches. “Hindi naman kayo papabayaan.”

The Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) released the president’s video message after Singapore leader’s public address to control panic in the city-state due the COVID scare went viral in the social media

 

 

Chinese authorities had locked down dozens of cities in a bid to contain the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) that has killed more 1,300 people, mostly in China. One fatality was reported in Manila.

In Wuhan City alone, the epicenter of the virus, there are around 150 Filipinos, the Department of Foreign Affairs said. Twenty-six were already repatriated and are put under quarantine for 14 days at the New Clark City Athletes’ Village in Capas, Tarlac.

Duterte also said the government is closely working with the World Health Organization and medical partners in the private sector to address the threat of outbreak.

In the Philippines, there had been three confirmed cases but involved Chinese tourists.

“To my fellow Filipinos, I understand many of you are worried about the world health and the well being of our loved ones,” Duterte said. “It is normal to feel anxious, concerned and even afraid.”

He also appealed to the public to avoid sharing false news about the virus and only get information from the government.

“I call on our people to remain calm, vigilant, responsible and I also ask your trust and cooperation, support as we face the challenge,” the popular leader said.

Duterte earlier said Filipinos have nothing to be “extra-scared” of the virus and urged them to stop the “sinophobia” or sentiments against Chinese nationals.

But he ordered a travel ban on China, Macau, and Hong Kong as a precautionary measure, despite the global health authorities’ remark that placing travel restrictions are less effective in addressing outbreaks.

READ ALSO: NCOV SCARE | Duterte assures Filipinos: Nothing to be ‘extra-scared’ of coronavirus

More From News5
Kinompronta ni Calida ang isang ABS CBN reporter
"Ikaw, lagi mo akong binabanatan ha." Kinompronta ni Solicitor General Jose Calida ang isang reporter ng ABS-CBN nang manghingi ito ng kopya ng petition for quo warranto para sa pagpapawalang-bisa ng prangkisa ng network.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Nilinaw ni Sec. Panelo ang naging confusion sa pagkansela sa VFA
Ipinaliwanag ni Sec. Salvador Panelo na nagkalituhan daw sa tenses na ginamit kaya magkaiba ang naging pahayag nila ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana tungkol sa pagpapasa ng termination notice ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa Amerika. Sinabi rin ni Panelo na mas mahalagang malaman na hindi magbabago ang isip ng Pangulo sa isyu.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng astronaut na bumalik sa mundo, gumawa ng record
328 na araw nananatili sa space ang American astronaut na si Christina Koch. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Inflation forecast para sa 2020, itinaas ng BSP
Posibleng pumalo sa 3% ang inflation o kabuuang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin at serbisyo ngayong taon, batay sa pagtataya ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng nagpa-inject ng glutathione, nasawi
Namatay matapos atakihin sa puso ang isang babae sa Maynila ilang oras lang matapos magpa-inject ng glutathione sa isang spa. | Jen Calimon. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Doktor na binansagang nCoV-whistleblower, namatay dahil sa virus
Sinasabing si Doctor Li Wenliang ang unang nagbabala tungkol sa kumakalat na virus pero kinatisgo umano siya ng mga pulis dahil sa pagpapakalat daw ng tsismis. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Virgin coconut oil kontra nCoV, bukas na pag-aralan ng DOST
Bukas ang DOST na suriin kung makatutulong ang virgin coconut oil kontra 2019 novel coronavirus na base sa pag-aaral ni Dr. Fabian Dayrit ng Ateneo de Manila University. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
TWG on motorcycle taxi, pinagrereport ng Kamara kada linggo
Nasabon ang technical working group dahil sa pagpayag na itaas ang fleet cap sa Metro Manila matapos na makipagkasundo sa Angkas at sa mga senador. | via Gerard de la Peña. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 4, 2020
No Chinese ban — Palace
Nilinaw ng Malacañang na hindi pa rin ipinagbabawal ang pagpasok ng mga Chinese sa Pilipinas sa kabila ng banta ng 2019-nCoV
Published On: February 4, 2020
P3-M na kush sa condo
Naaresto ang tatlong lalaking nahulihan ng high-grade marijuana at ecstacy sa loob ng condominium sa Taguig.
Published On: February 4, 2020
Top Stories
COVID OUTBREAK | China’s Hubei province reports 349 new infetion cases, lowest in a month
BEIJING, FEBRUARY 20, 2020 (Reuters) – China’s central Hubei province had 349 new confirmed cases of coronavirus on Wednesday, the prov
Published On: February 20, 2020
COVID SURVIVOR | Filipino recovers in Japan, another gets infected in Hong Kong
FEBRUARY 19, 2020 – The first Filipino who got infected with the deadly virus from China has recovered from the disease in Japan, the foreign
Published On: February 19, 2020
PRISON SCANDAL | Gunmen shoots dead Ex-BuCor official linked to GCTA mess
FEBRUARY 19, 2020 – Two gunmen on Wednesday shot dead a former official of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) linked to a prison scandal last
Published On: February 19, 2020
COVID-19 IMPACT | MIAA says airlines ‘slowly recovering’ due to policy changes
FEBRUARY 19, 2020 – Foreign and domestic carriers have started to recover passenger capacity after a two-week slumped brought by travel bans
Published On: February 19, 2020
ABS-CBN FRANCHISE ISSUE | Dela Rosa fires back at radio host: ‘Mali bang maging loyal?’
(FEBRUARY 19, 2020) – A senator on Wednesday lashed out at a radio anchor who told him to resign after pledging loyalty to President Rodrigo
Published On: February 19, 2020