Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: COVID RESPONSE | Trump gets flak for slow response as pandemic spread rapidly
COVID RESPONSE | Trump gets flak for slow response as pandemic spread rapidly
March 30, 2020 , 07:23 AM

(REUTERS) – Many U.S. media have criticized President Donald Trump for the unexpected rapid spread of the novel coronavirus across the country and the government’s slow response to the pandemic.

The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the United States reached a high of 100,717 as of Friday, with nearly 20,000 new cases reported in a single day and more than 10,000 new cases for the fourth consecutive day, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.

New York City is the current epicenter of the coronavirus crisis in the country. Elmhurst, a 545-bed public hospital in Queens, however, is at the center of this crisis.

In just one 24-hour period this week, at least 13 patients were reported to have died at the hospital, where the medical examiner’s office has stationed a refrigerated trailer to act as a makeshift morgue, according to a report by the Guardian daily newspaper on Friday.

“People are going to die,” said Francisco Moya, the New York City council member who represents the Elmhurst neighborhood. “The rate in the next few days [will] continue to go up, and people are going to get scared and get shocked,” he added.

The New York Times said this public hospital is “overcrowded” and “overwhelmed”, and that the only one thing they can appeal to the outside world is to “help us”.

Medical workers there described the scene in the hospital as “apocalyptic”, saying some people have died and local residents had to stand in the testing line in the pouring rain.

The situation is not optimistic neither for the New York Police Department (NYPD).

According to the Hill and the Fox News, the NYPD announced Friday that 552 members have tested positive for COVID-19, as the disease caused by the highly contagious virus is known, including two deaths. Another 4,111 NYPD uniformed employees were on sick leave.

Media reports say the rapid spread of the virus and the increased capability for testing have led to a surge in confirmed cases in the U.S. In 36 states including Washington D.C., only no more than 10,000 people have got tested.

Beth Cameron, who previously served as the senior director for global health security and biodefense on the White House National Security Council, said in her article published in Washington Post on March 13 that Trump’s move to close her office in May 2018 and top White House official in charge of pandemic response Timothy Ziemerm’s abrupt departure have left the country less prepared for pandemics like COVID-19.

In 2016, the Obama White House established the global health security office at the National Security Council to prevent the next outbreak from becoming an epidemic or pandemic if possible, she said.

“It would identify needs among state and local officials, and advise and facilitate regular, focused communication from federal health and scientific experts to provide states and the public with fact-based tools to minimize the virus’s spread,” said Cameron, “A White House office would have been able to elevate urgent issues fast, so they didn’t linger or devolve to inaction, as with coronavirus testing in the United States.”

“The office would galvanize resources to coordinate a robust and seamless domestic and global response,” she said.

If the office still existed, “we partnered with federal departments and agencies as they monitored evolving outbreaks, triggering alarms for decision-makers when those outbreaks began to take on unusual or worrisome characteristics,” she said.

Cameron also said that “in a health security crisis, speed is essential” and that the “specter of rapid community transmission and exponential growth is real and daunting.”

“The job of a White House pandemics office would have been to get ahead: to accelerate the response, empower experts, anticipate failures, and act quickly and transparently to solve problems,” she added.

The U.S. Foreign Policy website said that the U.S. health system’s funding has been cut since 2018.

“White House efforts included reducing 15 billion U.S. dollars in national health spending and cutting the global disease-fighting operational budgets of the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), NSC (National Safety Council), DHS (the U.S. Department of Homeland Security), and HHS (the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services). And the government’s 30 million U.S. dollars Complex Crises Fund was eliminated,” it said.

According to analysis done by the CNN, Trump “bears direct responsibility for America’s unpreparedness and failed response to the epidemic.”

It said, “when the epidemic hit, Trump ignored it, downplayed it, and made repeated false claims. Even now, he spouts vulgar nonsense about restarting the economy by Easter when public health experts say the threat is going to persist for far longer.”

“Even with active control, we might be facing around 81,000 deaths by July,” according to a new detailed analysis from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington in Seattle.

The U.S. should “try to control the virus as the East Asian countries are doing and in the process we will rescue the economy too. We need decisive action across states and cities,” the analysis said.

More From News5
Ex-FHM model sa drug buy-bust
Nasabat sa dating modelo ang ilang pakete ng shabu, ecstacy at pipe para sa liquid shabu na ibinibenta raw sa online store.
Published On: March 2, 2020
2020 Tokyo Olympics, tuloy sa kabila ng banta ng COVID-19
Tiniyak ng local organizers na handa silang protektahan kontra COVID-19 ang libu-libong atleta na lalahok sa Olympics. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Sen. Drilon, naghain ng concurrent resolution sa ABS-CBN franchise extension
Mas mabilis ang proseso sa concurrent resolution dahil pag-apruba lamang ng Kamara at Senado ang kailangan para mapalawig hanggang June 30, 2020 ang prangkisa ng ABS-CBN. | via Greg Gregorio. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Apology ng ABS-CBN, tinanggap na ni Duterte
Tinanggap na ni Pres. Duterte ang paumanhin ng ABS-CBN sa hindi nito pag-ere ng kanyang political advertisements noong 2016 elections. Natanong din siya tungkol sa quo warranto petition ng Office of the Solicitor General na pinapawalang bisa ang prangkisa ng broadcast network. | via Maricel Halili For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Jovie Espenido, 'cleared' na sa droga sa region 6
Nilinaw ng PNP na hindi pa final ang desisyon dahil sa isasailalim pa sa national level validation ang pagkakadawit ni P/Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido sa drug watchlist. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Pag-iingat ng simbahan vs. COVID-19 ngayong Semana Santa
Maraming simbahan ngayong Ash Wednesday ang ibinudbod sa bunbunan imbes na ipinahid sa noo ang abo bilang pag-iingat laban sa coronavirus disease. | via Jen Calimon. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Kinompronta ni Calida ang isang ABS CBN reporter
"Ikaw, lagi mo akong binabanatan ha." Kinompronta ni Solicitor General Jose Calida ang isang reporter ng ABS-CBN nang manghingi ito ng kopya ng petition for quo warranto para sa pagpapawalang-bisa ng prangkisa ng network.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Nilinaw ni Sec. Panelo ang naging confusion sa pagkansela sa VFA
Ipinaliwanag ni Sec. Salvador Panelo na nagkalituhan daw sa tenses na ginamit kaya magkaiba ang naging pahayag nila ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana tungkol sa pagpapasa ng termination notice ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa Amerika. Sinabi rin ni Panelo na mas mahalagang malaman na hindi magbabago ang isip ng Pangulo sa isyu.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng astronaut na bumalik sa mundo, gumawa ng record
328 na araw nananatili sa space ang American astronaut na si Christina Koch. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Inflation forecast para sa 2020, itinaas ng BSP
Posibleng pumalo sa 3% ang inflation o kabuuang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin at serbisyo ngayong taon, batay sa pagtataya ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Top Stories
‘EXEMPLAR CHIEF EXECUTIVE’ | Bocaue mayor Joni Villanueva dies
(MAY 29, 2020) – Bocaue, Bulacan Mayor Joni Villaueva-Tugna died on Thursday. This was confirmed in a Twitter post by her party-mate PDP-Laba
Published On: May 29, 2020
LIMITED MASS TRANSPORT | Transpo under GCQ not 100% says DOTr
(MAY 28, 2020) – Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said public transportation will resume as Metro Manila shifts to a General Community
Published On: May 29, 2020
LESS RESTRICTIONS | Pres. Duterte places Metro Manila under GCQ
(MAY 28, 2020) – President Rodrigo Duterte approved on Thursday night the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force to put Metro Manila,
Published On: May 28, 2020
MENTAL TOLL | More Pinoys having mental health issues during lockdown
(MAY 28, 2020) – The number of Filipinos having mental health issues increased since the imposition of the lockdown last March according to t
Published On: May 28, 2020
‘PRUDENT WAY’ | Opening schools in Denmark did not worsen outbreak, data shows
COPENHAGEN (Reuters) – A partial reopening of Danish schools did not lead to an increase in coronavirus infections among young students, a do
Published On: May 28, 2020