Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: ANTI-OLIGARCHY | Duterte finds ABS-CBN contribution to the pandemic response inadequate – spokesman
ANTI-OLIGARCHY | Duterte finds ABS-CBN contribution to the pandemic response inadequate – spokesman
July 16, 2020 , 03:56 PM

(July 16, 2020) – In a desperate attempt to justify Congress’ vote to take away jobs in shutting down the country’s largest broadcast corporation, President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman on Thursday blamed its owners for not contributing enough to the government’s pandemic response.

Harry Roque said the popular leader was serious in his campaign to bring down powerful oligarchs in the country but reconsidered filing charges against prominent families and tycoons after they donated billions to the coronavirus response.

Roque said the ABS-CBN contributed a meager amount, explaining to journalists a controversial statement he made a day earlier, comparing its 200 million pesos donation to billions made by other businesses.

“Nilalagay ko lang ang konteksto kung bakit napatawad ni Presidente yung oligarchs ng mga Ayalas at MVP group of companies,” Roque said on Thursday, mentioning he himself had already prepared the charges against the heads of the two largest water concessionaires in the capital.

Roque has been explaining his controversial statements to justify the president’s comments when he spoke to soldiers in Jolo about dismantling the oligarchy without imposing martial law.

He tried to deflect criticism by saying the president was not referring to ABS-CBN as there were other wealthy businessmen he was running after, like Lucio Tan, Manuel Pangilinan and Ayala and Consunji families.

However, audio recordings of the president’s speech in Jolo had surfaced where he categorically identified ABS-CBN as the oligarchy he was referring to after Congress voted 70-11 to reject the broadcast network’s franchise renewal.

ABS-CBN was the only company which lost a franchise but the other businesses, which Roque said the president was also after, continued to operate under existing franchises.

Besides, all the wealthy businessmen and families which Roque had identified as oligarchs were never involved in politics. The Lopez family, which controlled ABS-CBN, used to wield political power from the post-war period until the declaration of martial law in 1972.

Roque’s only excuse was he was not with the president in Jolo on Monday. Duterte also said he would “forget” filing cases against all three of them.

Businessman Manuel Pangilinan and his companies had given 6.5-billion pesos plus advanced taxes and concession fees, for a total of 20-billion pesos; and the Ayalas donated at least 9.5-billion pesos for COVID response, Roque said.

“Yun ang konteksto noon. Bakit nahabag ang presidente na bagamat handa na ang kaso, bakit hindi niya tinuloy? Eto yung dahilan,” Roque explained.

A day earlier, he said: “The difference is they delivered in time of crisis. Hindi ko naman maintindihan kasi why ABS-CBN did not do that,” Roque said in an interview.

“I know you donated 200 million of your own money but the rest you raised from your TV programs through your calls for donation,” he said, “I don’t know why ABS-CBN could not have done more like what the Ayalas and MVP did.”

Roque said the two water concessionaires are not completely off the hook.

“Kailangan amyendahan ang water concession agreement at ibalik ang dapat ibalik sa taong bayan,” he added.

However, it is not the obligation and responsibility of the large corporations to fund the pandemic response as the government had borrowed billions of dollars from multilateral financial institutions, like the World Bank and Asian Development Bank to address the coronavirus crisis.

The large businesses had voluntarily helped to alleviate the impact of the health crisis despite their own losses due to the weak economy which was a result of the government’s lockdown.

ABS-CBN said it has been losing 35 million pesos daily since the shut down in May and has announced a retrenchment plan by next month.

Roque said the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) will set up a one-stop shop center to help those who would lose their jobs.

“Para bigyan ng pagkakataon ang mga nawalan ng trabaho sa ABS-CBN, but this is also open to everyone,” Roque said.

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
POOR RESPONSE | Philippines has lowest COVID-19 recovery rate among Southeast Asian countries
By Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-Large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippines has the lowest recovery rate of coronavirus infected patients as well a
Published On: August 8, 2020
MANILA’S DIRTY HARRY | Ex-Mayor Alfredo Lim dies, 90
By: Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippine capital’s former tough mayor, known as “Dirty Harry” died on Satu
Published On: August 8, 2020
COVID-FREE PROVINCE | COVID-free Batanes pushes for face-to-face learning
By Von Belinario (August 07, 2020) – The governor of the country’s northernmost province of Batanes has been pushing a face-to-face learnin
Published On: August 7, 2020
BREWING STORM | Low pressure area may become a tropical depression and bring rains in virus-hit Philippines
(August 07, 2020) – The virus-hit Philippine capital may experience more rainy afternoons as a low pressure area east of the main island of L
Published On: August 7, 2020
COVID CASES RISE | Philippines reports COVID cases exceed 122,000, 8th in Asia
(August 07, 2020) – The Philippines’ total number of confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases has risen to more than 122,000, th
Published On: August 7, 2020