Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: EXTENDED | Huawei given another 90 days to buy from US suppliers —source
EXTENDED | Huawei given another 90 days to buy from US suppliers —source
August 18, 2019 , 12:27 PM

AUGUST 18, 2019 (Reuters) — The U.S. Commerce Department is expected to extend a reprieve given to Huawei Technologies that permits the Chinese firm to buy supplies from U.S. companies so that it can service existing customers, two sources familiar with the situation said.

The “temporary general license” will be extended for Huawei for 90 days, the sources said.

Commerce initially allowed Huawei to purchase some American-made goods in May shortly after blacklisting the company in a move aimed at minimizing disruption for its customers, many of which operate networks in rural America.

An extension will renew an agreement set to lapse on August 19, continuing the Chinese company’s ability to maintain existing telecommunications networks and provide software updates to Huawei handsets.

The situation surrounding the license, which has become a key bargaining chip for the United States in its trade negotiations with China, remains fluid and the decision to continue the Huawei reprieve could change ahead of the Monday deadline, the sources said.

U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping are expected to discuss Huawei in a call this weekend, one of the sources said.

Huawei did not have an immediate comment. China’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a faxed request for comment.

When the Commerce Department blocked Huawei from buying U.S. goods earlier this year, it was seen as a major escalation in the trade war between the world’s two top economies.

The U.S. government blacklisted Huawei alleging the Chinese company is involved in activities contrary to national security or foreign policy interests.

As an example, the blacklisting order cited a criminal case pending against the company in federal court, over allegations Huawei violated U.S. sanctions against Iran. Huawei has pleaded not guilty in the case.

The order noted that the indictment also accused Huawei of “deceptive and obstructive acts”.

At the same time the United States says Huawei’s smartphones and network equipment could be used by China to spy on Americans, allegations the company has repeatedly denied.

The world’s largest telecommunications equipment maker is still prohibited from buying American parts and components to manufacture new products without additional special licenses.

Many Huawei suppliers have requested the special licenses to sell to the firm. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told reporters late last month he had received more than 50 applications, and that he expected to receive more.

Out of $70 billion that Huawei spent buying components in 2018, some $11 billion went to U.S. firms including Qualcomm, Intel and Micron Technology.

The Commerce Department late on Friday declined to comment, referring to Ross’s comments to CNBC television earlier this week in which he said the existing licenses were in effect until Monday.

Asked if they would be extended he said: “On Monday I’ll be happy to update you.”

(Reporting by Keith Zhai in Singapore and David Shepardson in Washington; Editing by Chris Sanders and Muralikumar Anantharaman)

More From News5
Cardema, hinamon na patunayan ang mga akusasyon
Hinikayat ni COMELEC spokesman James Jimenez si dating NYC chairman Ronald Cardema na maghain ng reklamo sa halip na idaan ang kanyang mga akusasyon laban kay Commissioner Rowena Guanzon sa media.
Published On: August 23, 2019
Explainer: Dengue Epidemic
Anu-ano nga ba ang apat na strain o uri ng dengue?
Published On: August 23, 2019
Pagdami ng Chinese workers, 'di ikinaalarma ni Pres. Duterte — Palasyo
Ikinabahala ng ilang security officials ang pagdagsa ng Chinese workers sa POGO hubs na itinatayo malapit sa mga base militar ng Pilipinas. | via Maricel Halili / Bim Santos
Published On: August 23, 2019
Babaeng nambugbog sa isang viral video, sinermunan ni Idol Raffy
Nakatikim ng sermon mula kay Idol Raffy Tulfo ang isang dalagitang nambugbog sa isang trese-anyos na batang babae na kanyang pinagseselosan. Ang siste, pakiramdam ng dalagita ay nilalandi ng bata ang kanyang boyfriend. 'Di rin nakaligtas sa sermon ang mga magulang ng dalagita.
Published On: August 23, 2019
Death penalty at OFWs
"How can we appeal for mercy or a commutation of sentence?" Tutol si Foreign Affairs Sec. Teodoro Locsin Jr. sa pagbabalik ng death penalty sa Pilipinas dahil posibleng maapektuhan daw nito ang mga OFW na nahaharap sa ganitong parusa.
Published On: August 23, 2019
PACC: Case to case ang pagtanggap ng regalo
Puwedeng tumanggap ng hanggang P100,000 na halaga ng regalo ang mga tauhan ng gobyerno ayon sa Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission.
Published On: August 23, 2019
Huwag idamay ang Pangulo
Hindi raw makikialam si Pres. Rodrigo Duterte sa isyu nina dating National Youth Commission chairman Ronald Cardema at COMELEC commissioner Rowena Guanzon.
Published On: August 23, 2019
Mental institution, nakikitang solusyon sa mass shootings
Ayon kay U.S. Pres. Donald Trump ay may sakit sa pag-iisip ang mga suspek sa mass shootings sa Amerika.
Published On: August 23, 2019
Explainer | The laws on gifts
Base sa batas, puwede nga bang tumanggap ng regalo o hindi ang mga pulis?
Published On: August 23, 2019
P3-M reward sa Negros Oriental ambush
Dinagdagan pa ni Pres. Rodrigo Duterte ang pabuya para madakip ang mga salarin sa pananambang sa apat na pulis sa Negros Oriental.
Published On: July 29, 2019
Top Stories
‘IRRESPONSIBLE’ | DA calls on backyard swine raisers to report sick pigs
SEPTEMBER 15, 2019 — The Department of Agriculture (DA) urges backyard swine raisers to report to their municipal or city veterinarians incidents
Published On: September 15, 2019
‘START CLOSING THEM’ | Dominguez orders clamping down of POGOs
September 15, 2019 – The Department of Finance (DOF) on Sunday has ordered the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to shut down Philippine offsh
Published On: September 15, 2019
OUTPUT DOWN | Attacks on Saudi oil facilities knock out half of supply
RIYADH/DUBAI/LONDON, Sept 14 (Reuters) — Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi group said it attacked two plants at the heart of Saudi Arabia’s
Published On: September 15, 2019
NOT GIVING UP | Hong Kong activist seeks U.S. support for pro-democracy protests
NEW YORK, Sept 14 (Reuters) – Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong said on Saturday he was seeking the support of U.S. lawmakers for
Published On: September 15, 2019
END OF DEADLINE | Manhunt ops for convicts freed under GCTA law to start Friday – NCRPO
September 14, 2019 – The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) is set to launch its man-hunt operations starting Friday next week aga
Published On: September 14, 2019