Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: ‘GANGSTER LOGIC’ | China vows retaliation over “bullying” US sanctions
‘GANGSTER LOGIC’ | China vows retaliation over “bullying” US sanctions
July 16, 2020 , 12:27 PM

HONG KONG, July 16 (Reuters) – China’s top representative office in Hong Kong condemned what it called gross interference by the United States in the Asian financial hub, labeling President Donald Trump’s move to end the city’s special status as “gangster logic and bullying”.

In a strongly worded statement released late on Wednesday, the Hong Kong Liaison Office said the sanctions would not have a substantial impact on the special administrative region and rather damage the United States’ own interests.

“Unreasonable meddling and shameless threats by the United States are typical gangster logic and bullying behaviour,” the statement said.

“No external force can block China’s determination and confidence to maintain national sovereignty and security for Hong Kong’s long-term prosperity and stability.”

The security law imposed by Beijing punishes what China broadly defines as subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison.

Critics of the law fear it will crush the wide-ranging freedoms promised to the former British colony when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997, while supporters say it will bring stability to the city after a year of sometimes violent anti-government protests.

The Chinese government said it had a sovereign duty and legitimate right to maintain national security in Hong Kong and end the “chaos” caused by often violent protests last year.

In response to the law, Trump on Tuesday signed an executive order to end preferential economic treatment for Hong Kong.

China’s foreign ministry said on Wednesday Beijing will impose retaliatory sanctions against U.S. individuals and entities in response to a U.S. law targeting banks which deal with Chinese officials who implement Hong Kong’s security law.

China has summoned the U.S. ambassador to protest at the Hong Kong Autonomy Act, Beijing said.

The Hong Kong government in a statement late on Wednesday said it fully supported the central government in adopting counter-measures against the United States.

“It is hypocritical for the U.S. to introduce measures to attack China by creating issues in (Hong Kong) under the pretext of human rights, democracy and autonomy out of its own political considerations.”

White House discussions are ongoing about potential targets for sanctions over Hong Kong and no final decisions have been made, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Among names being pushed by some China hawks is Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam, who has backed Beijing‘s implementation of the security law, the source said.

Separately Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Nathan Law said on Wednesday he feels safe in London at the moment but described the extra-territorial reach of national security laws imposed by China as “scary” and urged Britain to do more to help.

(Writing by Farah Master; Editing by Michael Perry)

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
POOR RESPONSE | Philippines has lowest COVID-19 recovery rate among Southeast Asian countries
By Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-Large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippines has the lowest recovery rate of coronavirus infected patients as well a
Published On: August 8, 2020
MANILA’S DIRTY HARRY | Ex-Mayor Alfredo Lim dies, 90
By: Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippine capital’s former tough mayor, known as “Dirty Harry” died on Satu
Published On: August 8, 2020
COVID-FREE PROVINCE | COVID-free Batanes pushes for face-to-face learning
By Von Belinario (August 07, 2020) – The governor of the country’s northernmost province of Batanes has been pushing a face-to-face learnin
Published On: August 7, 2020
BREWING STORM | Low pressure area may become a tropical depression and bring rains in virus-hit Philippines
(August 07, 2020) – The virus-hit Philippine capital may experience more rainy afternoons as a low pressure area east of the main island of L
Published On: August 7, 2020
COVID CASES RISE | Philippines reports COVID cases exceed 122,000, 8th in Asia
(August 07, 2020) – The Philippines’ total number of confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases has risen to more than 122,000, th
Published On: August 7, 2020