Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: LONGEST LOCKDOWN | Duterte keeps lockdown status in Manila, Cebu City up to July 15
LONGEST LOCKDOWN | Duterte keeps lockdown status in Manila, Cebu City up to July 15
July 1, 2020 , 10:26 AM

(July 1, 2020) – President Rodrigo Duterte has extended the quarantine protocols in the country’s two main cities until July 15, imposing a record four months restrictive measures, one of the longest in the world.

In a late Tuesday night national television address, Duterte said Cebu City in the central Philippines will remain under a strict enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) until July 15 while the general community quarantine (GCQ) stays in the capital region for the next two weeks.

The rest of the country will have more relaxed quarantine status as the cases of coronavirus infections in the country continue to spike reaching more than 37,500 as of the end of June.

The popular leader said residents in the capital region are no longer flouting the curbs but there are still hard-headed people in Cebu City who continue to violate quarantine measures.

“Ang Manila and the rest of the greater Manila area, medyo there was a substantial compliance,” he said. “I wouldn’t say that there were no violations, but not in the scale that I saw in other places.”

Duterte has repeated what he had earlier said after noting a surge in virus cases in the Visayas, particularly in Cebu City, that the problem was due to the failure of Cebu residents to observe the stringent measures.

He had to send ex-general Roy Cimatu, the environment secretary, to oversee the national government’s response in the central Visayan city.
Cimatu, a former armed forces chief, was sent to “do the critical thinking” and not for a takeover, he added.

In his directive, the other areas placed under GCQ are: the provinces of Benguet, Cavite, Rizal, Leyte, Southern Leyte, as well as the cities of Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue, Talisay, Minglanilla, Consolacion in the Cebu province and Ormoc in Leyte.

Narito ang bagong quarantine measures na ipatutupad sa bansa simula ngayong araw hanggang July 15, 2020. Nananatili sa ECQ ang Cebu City habang nasa GCQ pa rin ang Metro Manila.

Posted by News5 on Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Last month, lawmakers from the Eastern Visayas region had called on government to review its “Balik Probinsiya” and “Hatid Probinsiya” programs, which they blamed for the rise in cases on the island of Samar and Leyte.

The twin programs aim from Metro Manila the ferry stranded individuals, including overseas workers who had arrived from abroad, back to their homes in the provinces.

Duterte said more localized lockdowns will be imposed in other areas under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).

There will be stricter enforcement of minimum health standards and scaling up health system capacities and isolation areas.

Images of stranded individuals at the country’s main airport in Manila had also caught the attention of Duterte. He told Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año to provide them food and accommodation, all which would be charged to him.

“I would like to remind General Año to gather all na naghihintay, walang matulugan, matirhan at andiyan sa labas ng NAIA,” he said. “You will be transported to a place. I will pay, you just bill me.”

The country’s coronavirus infections had more than doubled since the government’s decision to partially re-open the country after more than 100 days of lock down.

A total of 1,080 new cases were recorded by health officials on Tuesday, the second highest single day increase, bringing the total to 37,514.

Laboratories across the country have reported more than 46,000 people have tested positive for the deadly virus, an indication the health department’s backlog to validate the cases has risen close to 10,000 cases. (Christian de Lano Deiparine/MM)

More From News5
Ex-FHM model sa drug buy-bust
Nasabat sa dating modelo ang ilang pakete ng shabu, ecstacy at pipe para sa liquid shabu na ibinibenta raw sa online store.
Published On: March 2, 2020
2020 Tokyo Olympics, tuloy sa kabila ng banta ng COVID-19
Tiniyak ng local organizers na handa silang protektahan kontra COVID-19 ang libu-libong atleta na lalahok sa Olympics. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Sen. Drilon, naghain ng concurrent resolution sa ABS-CBN franchise extension
Mas mabilis ang proseso sa concurrent resolution dahil pag-apruba lamang ng Kamara at Senado ang kailangan para mapalawig hanggang June 30, 2020 ang prangkisa ng ABS-CBN. | via Greg Gregorio. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Apology ng ABS-CBN, tinanggap na ni Duterte
Tinanggap na ni Pres. Duterte ang paumanhin ng ABS-CBN sa hindi nito pag-ere ng kanyang political advertisements noong 2016 elections. Natanong din siya tungkol sa quo warranto petition ng Office of the Solicitor General na pinapawalang bisa ang prangkisa ng broadcast network. | via Maricel Halili For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Jovie Espenido, 'cleared' na sa droga sa region 6
Nilinaw ng PNP na hindi pa final ang desisyon dahil sa isasailalim pa sa national level validation ang pagkakadawit ni P/Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido sa drug watchlist. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Pag-iingat ng simbahan vs. COVID-19 ngayong Semana Santa
Maraming simbahan ngayong Ash Wednesday ang ibinudbod sa bunbunan imbes na ipinahid sa noo ang abo bilang pag-iingat laban sa coronavirus disease. | via Jen Calimon. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Kinompronta ni Calida ang isang ABS CBN reporter
"Ikaw, lagi mo akong binabanatan ha." Kinompronta ni Solicitor General Jose Calida ang isang reporter ng ABS-CBN nang manghingi ito ng kopya ng petition for quo warranto para sa pagpapawalang-bisa ng prangkisa ng network.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Nilinaw ni Sec. Panelo ang naging confusion sa pagkansela sa VFA
Ipinaliwanag ni Sec. Salvador Panelo na nagkalituhan daw sa tenses na ginamit kaya magkaiba ang naging pahayag nila ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana tungkol sa pagpapasa ng termination notice ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa Amerika. Sinabi rin ni Panelo na mas mahalagang malaman na hindi magbabago ang isip ng Pangulo sa isyu.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng astronaut na bumalik sa mundo, gumawa ng record
328 na araw nananatili sa space ang American astronaut na si Christina Koch. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Inflation forecast para sa 2020, itinaas ng BSP
Posibleng pumalo sa 3% ang inflation o kabuuang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin at serbisyo ngayong taon, batay sa pagtataya ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Top Stories
RESURGENCE | Global coronavirus cases pass 11 million mark
WASHINGTON, July 3 (Reuters) – Global coronavirus cases exceeded 11 million on Friday, according to a Reuters tally, marking another miles
Published On: July 4, 2020
STEALTH MARTIAL LAW | Human rights group expresses concern over signing of anti-terrorism bill
By Manny Mogato, News5 editor-at-large (July 4, 2020) — A New York-based human rights group has expressed concerns over President Rodrigo Duterte
Published On: July 4, 2020
FRIENDLY FIRE | Duterte talks to soldiers and police to defuse tension after fatal shooting incident
(July 04, 2020) – President Rodrigo Duterte hurriedly flew to a military base in the south to defuse tension between the army and police afte
Published On: July 4, 2020
PUSHBACK | Opposition to take anti-terror law to court
(July 03, 2020) – The small political opposition and other groups against a draconian bill signed into law by President Rodrigo Duterte vowed
Published On: July 3, 2020
SECURITY LAW | HK declares ‘Liberate Hong Kong’ slogan illegal
HONG KONG, July 3 (Reuters) – The popular protest slogan “Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times” connotes separatism or
Published On: July 3, 2020