Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: NCOV SCARE | Duterte assures Filipinos: Nothing to be ‘extra-scared’ of coronavirus
NCOV SCARE | Duterte assures Filipinos: Nothing to be ‘extra-scared’ of coronavirus
February 4, 2020 , 11:31 AM

FEBRUARY 4, 2020 – President Rodrigo Duterte has allayed public fears on the rapid spread of the novel coronavirus that has killed more than 400 people in China, as he called an end to what he perceived as hatred against Chinese nationals in the country.

In a news conference late on Monday, the popular leader said “everything is well” in the Philippines despite the two confirmed cases of 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease involving Chinese tourists.

One of the victims had died in Manila due to severe pneumonia and was the first reported death outside China.

“There is nothing really to be extra scared of that coronavirus thing although it has affected a lot of countries,” Duterte told reporters. “You know one or two in any country is not really that fearsome.”

The president, who has been seeking warmer ties with Beijing, also urged Filipinos to stop the “sinophobia” or sentiments against Chinese nationals.

Duterte also expressed displeasure on the many statements he had seen and read on social media which demanded to send all of them back to China.

“You know it is not only a case of bad taste but it is not good for us Filipinos to be saying that.

“Remember that there are now so many thousands of Filipinos in China. And they cannot go out because coming in or going out of China is prohibited,” Duterte said. “And that is precisely to contain the propagation of the virus.”

 

 

ON TOP OF SITUATION

The coronavirus outbreak, which was declared as global health emergency by the global health authorities, already killed 425 as of the end of Monday. All of the new reported 64 deaths were in Hubei province, the epicentre of the virus outbreak.

In response to the fast-spreading virus, Duterte has ordered a wider travel ban on China, Hong Kong, and Macau. He said he also directed Health Secretary Francisco Duque III to prepare a separate building just in case there is a need to quarantine several persons.

“Wala pa namang — hindi pa kailangan ‘yan pero I said we will prepare,” Duterte said.

 

 

Duterte convened a task force meeting four days after the Department of Health announced the first coronavirus case in the country.

Last week, the #OustDuterte trended on Twitter with Filipino netizens lambasting the president and his government’s alleged lack of urgency in addressing the issue.

Despite this, the Presidential Communications Operations Office asserted the meeting was not too late and conducted at the right time. (Karen Macalalad/MM)

More From News5
Kinompronta ni Calida ang isang ABS CBN reporter
"Ikaw, lagi mo akong binabanatan ha." Kinompronta ni Solicitor General Jose Calida ang isang reporter ng ABS-CBN nang manghingi ito ng kopya ng petition for quo warranto para sa pagpapawalang-bisa ng prangkisa ng network.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Nilinaw ni Sec. Panelo ang naging confusion sa pagkansela sa VFA
Ipinaliwanag ni Sec. Salvador Panelo na nagkalituhan daw sa tenses na ginamit kaya magkaiba ang naging pahayag nila ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana tungkol sa pagpapasa ng termination notice ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa Amerika. Sinabi rin ni Panelo na mas mahalagang malaman na hindi magbabago ang isip ng Pangulo sa isyu.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng astronaut na bumalik sa mundo, gumawa ng record
328 na araw nananatili sa space ang American astronaut na si Christina Koch. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Inflation forecast para sa 2020, itinaas ng BSP
Posibleng pumalo sa 3% ang inflation o kabuuang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin at serbisyo ngayong taon, batay sa pagtataya ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng nagpa-inject ng glutathione, nasawi
Namatay matapos atakihin sa puso ang isang babae sa Maynila ilang oras lang matapos magpa-inject ng glutathione sa isang spa. | Jen Calimon. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Doktor na binansagang nCoV-whistleblower, namatay dahil sa virus
Sinasabing si Doctor Li Wenliang ang unang nagbabala tungkol sa kumakalat na virus pero kinatisgo umano siya ng mga pulis dahil sa pagpapakalat daw ng tsismis. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Virgin coconut oil kontra nCoV, bukas na pag-aralan ng DOST
Bukas ang DOST na suriin kung makatutulong ang virgin coconut oil kontra 2019 novel coronavirus na base sa pag-aaral ni Dr. Fabian Dayrit ng Ateneo de Manila University. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
TWG on motorcycle taxi, pinagrereport ng Kamara kada linggo
Nasabon ang technical working group dahil sa pagpayag na itaas ang fleet cap sa Metro Manila matapos na makipagkasundo sa Angkas at sa mga senador. | via Gerard de la Peña. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 4, 2020
No Chinese ban — Palace
Nilinaw ng Malacañang na hindi pa rin ipinagbabawal ang pagpasok ng mga Chinese sa Pilipinas sa kabila ng banta ng 2019-nCoV
Published On: February 4, 2020
P3-M na kush sa condo
Naaresto ang tatlong lalaking nahulihan ng high-grade marijuana at ecstacy sa loob ng condominium sa Taguig.
Published On: February 4, 2020
Top Stories
COVID OUTBREAK | China’s Hubei province reports 349 new infetion cases, lowest in a month
BEIJING, FEBRUARY 20, 2020 (Reuters) – China’s central Hubei province had 349 new confirmed cases of coronavirus on Wednesday, the prov
Published On: February 20, 2020
COVID SURVIVOR | Filipino recovers in Japan, another gets infected in Hong Kong
FEBRUARY 19, 2020 – The first Filipino who got infected with the deadly virus from China has recovered from the disease in Japan, the foreign
Published On: February 19, 2020
PRISON SCANDAL | Gunmen shoots dead Ex-BuCor official linked to GCTA mess
FEBRUARY 19, 2020 – Two gunmen on Wednesday shot dead a former official of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) linked to a prison scandal last
Published On: February 19, 2020
COVID-19 IMPACT | MIAA says airlines ‘slowly recovering’ due to policy changes
FEBRUARY 19, 2020 – Foreign and domestic carriers have started to recover passenger capacity after a two-week slumped brought by travel bans
Published On: February 19, 2020
ABS-CBN FRANCHISE ISSUE | Dela Rosa fires back at radio host: ‘Mali bang maging loyal?’
(FEBRUARY 19, 2020) – A senator on Wednesday lashed out at a radio anchor who told him to resign after pledging loyalty to President Rodrigo
Published On: February 19, 2020