(SEPTEMBER 20, 2019) — Another case of polio has been recorded by the Department of Health (DOH) on Friday, a day after the confirmation of the first case of the highly contagious disease in the country in almost two decades.
The 5-year-old boy in Laguna, whose case the DOH has been monitoring, contacted a vaccine-derived polio virus type 2, the same as with the first case. Samples sent to the Japan National Institute for Infectious Diseases tested positive for the polio virus.
“We continue to urge parents and caregivers of children below five years old, health workers, and local chief executives to take part in the synchronized polio vaccination to be scheduled in their communities,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a statement.
Duque reiterated the need to practice good personal hygiene, to drink safe water and to cook food thoroughly.
The latest confirmed case, according to the DOH, was reported to be from an immunocompromised child suffering from multiple pediatric diseases. His paralyzis started in August 2019.
Fortunately, the boy had been discharged from the hospital and is able to walk. But close monitoring for residual symptoms are still necessary, according to the department.
Yesterday, a three-year-old girl from Lanao del Sur was the first confirmed case of polio in 19 years, after the World Health Organization declared the Philippines polio-free in Dcember 2000.
The DOH said it has prepared a rapid response to the polio outbreak through a series of oral polio vaccinations to protect every Filipino child under five years old beginning this October.
The health department had earlier said the polio virus had been detected in water sewage samples in Metro Manila and Davao City. (Randell Ritumalta/JMF)