Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: PUSHBACK | Opposition to take anti-terror law to court
PUSHBACK | Opposition to take anti-terror law to court
July 3, 2020 , 08:03 PM

(July 03, 2020) – The small political opposition and other groups against a draconian bill signed into law by President Rodrigo Duterte vowed to bring their case to the higher court.

The popular leader ignored all groups, including leaders of a Muslim rebel group who made peace with government, pushback from the minority, signed into law the anti-terrirosm bill passed by Congress last month as an urgent measure.

The United Nations High Commissioner on Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, even appealed to Duterte not to sign it into law because of its chilling effect on human rights activists in the country.

Minority lawmakers said they were not surprised when the president signed the anti-terror bill into law, as he had certified it urgent.

But House Deputy Minority leader and Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Isagani Zarate said they would continue the fight against the bill in the Supreme Court.

“We would have to continue the fight in all fronts until this terror law is junked. We will question its constitutionality at the Supreme Court at the soonest time possible,” said the Davao-based lawmaker.

Labor group leader Sonny Matula said Duterte “forgot his Constitutional Law” by failing to veto the measure, which is “contrary to our freedom of expression under the Bill of Rights” and the “right of citizens to be secure against unreasonable arrest.”

Renato Reyes , leader of left-wing Bayan movement said Duterte signed the bill into law despite strong opposition from a broad array of sectors of society – from working people, human rights advocates, the legal community, academe, religious groups, business, media and artists

“It shows that the regime is more interested in suppressing dissent than in solving the health and economic crisis,” he said.

“The people are left with no choice but to resist and to defend our rights and freedoms against a tyrannical regime.

We will avail of all avenues to challenge the validity of the terror law. We call on the Filipino people: Resist. Protest. Speak out.”

Opposition groups particularly protested draconian provisions against the lengthened period of warrantless arrests for 14 days, the power of the Anti-Terrorism Council (ATC) to designate individuals and groups as terrorist, the increased powers of surveillance, and the removal of penalty for wrongful arrests.

Amnesty International said the new law is “a new weapon to brand and hound any perceived enemies of the state”.

“This shows why the UN should launch a formal investigation into ongoing widespread and systematic violations in the country,” said Amnesty International’s Asia-Pacific Regional Director, Nicholas Bequelin.

The Anti-Terrorism Law of 2020 repealed the Human Security Act of 2007. Proponents of the law cited the need for a stronger rule against terrorists after the siege of Marawi City in 2017.

Senator Panfilo Lacson, who pushed the bill in the Senate, praised Duterte for signing the law.

For his part, Senate President Vicente Sotto III was pleased with the decision, saying, “I am glad the President has sifted through the rubble and saw the importance of the law!” issue to the court. (Katrina Elaine Alba/MM)

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
POOR RESPONSE | Philippines has lowest COVID-19 recovery rate among Southeast Asian countries
By Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-Large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippines has the lowest recovery rate of coronavirus infected patients as well a
Published On: August 8, 2020
MANILA’S DIRTY HARRY | Ex-Mayor Alfredo Lim dies, 90
By: Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippine capital’s former tough mayor, known as “Dirty Harry” died on Satu
Published On: August 8, 2020
COVID-FREE PROVINCE | COVID-free Batanes pushes for face-to-face learning
By Von Belinario (August 07, 2020) – The governor of the country’s northernmost province of Batanes has been pushing a face-to-face learnin
Published On: August 7, 2020
BREWING STORM | Low pressure area may become a tropical depression and bring rains in virus-hit Philippines
(August 07, 2020) – The virus-hit Philippine capital may experience more rainy afternoons as a low pressure area east of the main island of L
Published On: August 7, 2020
COVID CASES RISE | Philippines reports COVID cases exceed 122,000, 8th in Asia
(August 07, 2020) – The Philippines’ total number of confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases has risen to more than 122,000, th
Published On: August 7, 2020