Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: RECORD COVID DEATH | Philippines reports record 162 deaths from the coronavirus as infections continue to spike
RECORD COVID DEATH | Philippines reports record 162 deaths from the coronavirus as infections continue to spike
July 13, 2020 , 11:25 AM

(July 13, 2020) — The Philippines on Monday reported a record high of 162 deaths on July 12 only from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19),, raising the death toll to more than 1,500 since the outbreak in March, a health official said, explaining more than half of the fatalities were from previous months.

In a news conference, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire blamed the late reporting of various local government units for the delay, saying the deaths have to be validated first and death certificates are issued and used as a basis for the tally.

“Lilinawin ko po, hindi dahl po 162 ang naitala kahapon ay ibig sabihin kahapon sila lahat namatay,” she said.

“Gaya ng sinabi ko kanina, datos po na mayroon tayo, depende sa submission sa atin. We expect more deaths to be reported in the coming days as a result of our data reconciliation efforts and we thanked our local government units for their support.”

 

LIVE | Press briefing of the Department of Health on COVID-19

Posted by News5 on Sunday, July 12, 2020

 

Vergeire said the local government units have direct access to information about deaths and most of the time these information were transmitted late to the health department. This would explain why the number of deaths rose to 162 but on a daily basis, she said, the country’s death rate has improved from the previous months.

She said more than 50 percent of the reported 162 fatalities were actually in the month of June, when 90 infected persons died. Twenty or 12 percent died in May and only 1 in April. For the current month, 51 had died – 18 deaths last week and 33 in the previous weeks.

About 61 percent of the deaths, or 99 were from the central Visayas region, 23 percent of 37 from the Western Visayas region, 4 percent of six from central Luzon, 2 percent or three from the Southern Tagalog, 1 percent or two each from Eastern Visayas and Western Mindanao region and 1 fatality of .62 percent in the Muslim Mindanao region.

Based on its latest daily case bulletin, the health department has reported a total of 38,679 active cases, the highest in Southeast Asia. The total number of confirmed positive cases has reached 56,259, the second highest in the region next to Indonesia.

At least 2,124 active cases were added as of Sunday based on reporting from 67 out 82 laboratories nationwide. More than 92 percent have mild symptoms, seven percent have no symptoms and less than 1 percent were considered to have either severe or critical conditions.

Vergeire said more than 2,000 infected persons have also recovered from the disease, bringing the tally to 16,046 and death toll at 1,534.

JUST IN | Nakapagtala ang DOH ng 2,124 bagong kaso ng COVID-19 sa bansa kahapon, July 12. Nasa 2,009 naman ang naitalang…

Posted by News5 on Sunday, July 12, 2020

 

She said the government was trying to improve its reporting process to speed up the procedures and be able to make a real-time reporting of the cases, recovery and deaths from the pandemic that has infected nearly 13 million people and killed more than 560,000 people worldwide. More than 56 percent of infected people have recovered from the disease.

The Philippines has a lower recovery rate compared to most countries in Southeast Asia and below the global average. (Manny Mogato)

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
COVID-FREE PROVINCE | COVID-free Batanes pushes for face-to-face learning
By Von Belinario (August 07, 2020) – The governor of the country’s northernmost province of Batanes has been pushing a face-to-face learnin
Published On: August 7, 2020
BREWING STORM | Low pressure area may become a tropical depression and bring rains in virus-hit Philippines
(August 07, 2020) – The virus-hit Philippine capital may experience more rainy afternoons as a low pressure area east of the main island of L
Published On: August 7, 2020
COVID CASES RISE | Philippines reports COVID cases exceed 122,000, 8th in Asia
(August 07, 2020) – The Philippines’ total number of confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases has risen to more than 122,000, th
Published On: August 7, 2020
MISINFORMATION | Facebook takes down pro-Trump ads for false posts
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Facebook Inc is temporarily banning a Republican political action committee, the Committee to Defend the President,
Published On: August 7, 2020
SEX CRIMES | Mexico holds cult leader for rape, human trafficking, child porn
LOS ANGELES, Aug 6 (Reuters) – The leader of a Mexico-based church that claims over 1 million followers worldwide was ordered on Thursday
Published On: August 7, 2020