Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: SECURITY BREACH | President’s guards begin inquiry after infected lawmaker visited Malacanang
SECURITY BREACH | President’s guards begin inquiry after infected lawmaker visited Malacanang
March 26, 2020 , 02:32 PM

MARCH 26, 2020 – President Rodrigo Duterte’s security team began an investigation into a potential security breach after a lawmaker found positive for coronavirus attended a meeting at the official residence of the president, the commander of the military unit said on Thursday.

Colonel Jesus Durante, in an interview, said the Presidential Security Group is considering to file charges against a party-list representative and close ally of Duterte’s son at the lower house of Congress for not disclosing his conditions when questioned for health screening.

“He has coughs, he has been experiencing some symptoms, hindi niya lahat dineclare ito.” Durante said, referring to ACT-CIS partylist Eric Yap, head of the lower house panel on appropriations.

“Ang problema, itong si Congressman Yap, he did fill out itong form but he did not declare na may contact siya with some people who were found positive.”

Yap has made a statement admitting he tested positive after he had himself tested for corona virus on March 15.

But he continued to work and attended a meeting of Cabinet members and lawmakers on March 21. On Monday, he also attended a special session at the House of Representatives that deliberated and passed a law granting special powers to the president.

Yap has apologized and appealed to every one to stay at home.

His case was similar to Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel, who went to a hospital with his pregnant wife and shop at a supermarket even he had himself tested for corona virus last week.

Pimentel got bashed in social media for his irresponsible actions. He has apologized and insisted he did not know he was infected before his trip to the Makati Medical Center.

Durante said a task force has been created to investigate Yap’s security breach

READ ALSO: COVID POSITIVE | Solon who interacted with top gov’t officials confirms he has coronavirus

“If it’s really necessary to file a case against him then we will,” Durante said even if Yap did not meet personally with the president during his visit to Malacanang.

Part of the security protocol at the palace was to ask all visitors to sign a declaration form to screen people who may be a potential carrier of the virus that has killed 38 people and sickened 636 in the country as of Wednesday. Only 26 have recovered and about 9,000 people are still being closely monitored.

Durante said there could be up to 20 people inside the Malacanang who are classified as patients under investigation, including the Cabinet officials, lawmakers, and staff after close contact with Yap and six soldiers were placed under quarantine.

“Umattend siya sa meeting involving itong mga other Cabinet secretaries natin and it really endangered everyone dito sa loob Palasyo,” he said, adding the PSG is now revising the declaration forms to ensure the safety of the Palace and the president.

“Ang bottom line naman dito is we are fighting COVID-19,” he said. “So, this is actually for the safety and for good health, for every one of us, not only the President, but para po sa ating lahat ito.” (Karen Macalalad/MM)

READ ALSO: RECKLESS ACTION | Hospital hits COVID-positive senator for ‘breaching protocols’

More From News5
Ex-FHM model sa drug buy-bust
Nasabat sa dating modelo ang ilang pakete ng shabu, ecstacy at pipe para sa liquid shabu na ibinibenta raw sa online store.
Published On: March 2, 2020
2020 Tokyo Olympics, tuloy sa kabila ng banta ng COVID-19
Tiniyak ng local organizers na handa silang protektahan kontra COVID-19 ang libu-libong atleta na lalahok sa Olympics. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Sen. Drilon, naghain ng concurrent resolution sa ABS-CBN franchise extension
Mas mabilis ang proseso sa concurrent resolution dahil pag-apruba lamang ng Kamara at Senado ang kailangan para mapalawig hanggang June 30, 2020 ang prangkisa ng ABS-CBN. | via Greg Gregorio. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Apology ng ABS-CBN, tinanggap na ni Duterte
Tinanggap na ni Pres. Duterte ang paumanhin ng ABS-CBN sa hindi nito pag-ere ng kanyang political advertisements noong 2016 elections. Natanong din siya tungkol sa quo warranto petition ng Office of the Solicitor General na pinapawalang bisa ang prangkisa ng broadcast network. | via Maricel Halili For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Jovie Espenido, 'cleared' na sa droga sa region 6
Nilinaw ng PNP na hindi pa final ang desisyon dahil sa isasailalim pa sa national level validation ang pagkakadawit ni P/Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido sa drug watchlist. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Pag-iingat ng simbahan vs. COVID-19 ngayong Semana Santa
Maraming simbahan ngayong Ash Wednesday ang ibinudbod sa bunbunan imbes na ipinahid sa noo ang abo bilang pag-iingat laban sa coronavirus disease. | via Jen Calimon. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Kinompronta ni Calida ang isang ABS CBN reporter
"Ikaw, lagi mo akong binabanatan ha." Kinompronta ni Solicitor General Jose Calida ang isang reporter ng ABS-CBN nang manghingi ito ng kopya ng petition for quo warranto para sa pagpapawalang-bisa ng prangkisa ng network.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Nilinaw ni Sec. Panelo ang naging confusion sa pagkansela sa VFA
Ipinaliwanag ni Sec. Salvador Panelo na nagkalituhan daw sa tenses na ginamit kaya magkaiba ang naging pahayag nila ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana tungkol sa pagpapasa ng termination notice ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa Amerika. Sinabi rin ni Panelo na mas mahalagang malaman na hindi magbabago ang isip ng Pangulo sa isyu.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng astronaut na bumalik sa mundo, gumawa ng record
328 na araw nananatili sa space ang American astronaut na si Christina Koch. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Inflation forecast para sa 2020, itinaas ng BSP
Posibleng pumalo sa 3% ang inflation o kabuuang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin at serbisyo ngayong taon, batay sa pagtataya ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Top Stories
AMID COVID19 SHUTDOWN | Van Gogh painting stolen from Dutch museum
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) – Thieves stole a painting by Vincent van Gogh overnight from the Singer Laren Museum in the Netherlands, its director sa
Published On: March 30, 2020
TESTING FACILITIES | More hospitals will soon test for the deadly coronavirus
(March 30, 2020) – The health department on Monday reported about 50 hospitals in the country have asked to be accredited as testing centers
Published On: March 30, 2020
FOREIGN HELP | China sending doctors to help the Philippines battle coronavirus
(March 30, 2020) – The Philippines has sought the help of China, where the pandemic started, in dealing with the highly contagious virus caus
Published On: March 30, 2020
SECOND IN ASEAN | Philippines has second highest coronavirus in the region
By Manny Mogato (March 30, 2020) – The Philippines has overtaken Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand with the highest number of coronavirus cas
Published On: March 30, 2020
SOCIAL DISTANCING | Measure to prevent spread of disease may cause class division in the Philippines (Analysis)
By Chenny Ramos (March 30, 2020) – When the coronavirus pandemic reached the Philippines this month, President Rodrigo Duterte placed the ent
Published On: March 30, 2020