(JANUARY 15, 2020) -Cavite was placed under a state of calamity, the second most affected province, as Taal volcano continued to show signs of a rival hazardous explosive eruption within days, its vice governor said Wednesday.
In a Facebook post Vice Governor Jolo Revilla said the provincial board has approved a resolution to place the province under a state of calamity as thousands of families from Cavite and Batangas had been evacuated to safety.
“Ang Sangguniang Panlalawigan ng Cavite ay nagkaroon ng special session para buuin at aprubahan ang resolusyon na nagsasabi na ang buong lalawigan ng Cavite ay nasa State of Calamity dahil sa epektong dulot ng pagsabog ng bulkang Taal,” Revilla wrote.
More than 100,000 people living around the country’s second most active volcano have fled their homes.
Taal volcano has been on Alert Level 4 status for three days after it spewed ashes and rattled the ground. Its volcanic activities continued indicating a possible hazardous explosive eruption in the next few hours or days.
In the latest briefing by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS), volcano monitoring division chief Ma. Antonia Bornas said Taal continues to spew steam plumes of up to 700 meters.
There have also been 520 volcanic quakes since January 12.
Batangas declared a state of calamity last Monday, January 13. (Randell Ritumalta/MM)