Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: TIME OUT | Duterte will address medical community concerns as cases top 100,000
TIME OUT | Duterte will address medical community concerns as cases top 100,000
August 2, 2020 , 07:58 PM

By: Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-Large

(August 2, 2020) —President Rodrigo Duterte met with his Cabinet on Sunday a day after the country’s medical community has called on the government to re-impose stricter quarantine protocols, his spokesman said as the number of coronavirus reached more than 100,000.

Harry Roque did not say what was decided during the president’s meeting but they talked about the request to place the capital region under tougher lockdown for two weeks from Monday.

“I will make the proper announcement in due course,” Roque said promising to issue a statement on any important decision to be taken by the government.

The members of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases had also met to discuss the concerns of the medical community.

The head of the National Task Force, Defense Secretary Lorenzana said they will meet with the medical community on Monday.

While the government was still deliberating on what to do, the Archdiocese of Manila acted swiftly announcing to close all churches for masses in the next two weeks u until August 14 to heed the request of doctors and nurses.

Last month, churches were allowed up to 30 percent people to attend religious services.

On Saturday, they asked the government for a time out for two weeks, suggesting a recalibration of the government’s pandemic response as transmission of the disease surges.

On Sunday, the health department reported a total of 5,032 cases, breaking all records in the past six months, the fifth straight day of steady increase of infections.

The Philippines cumulative total has reached 103,185 cases, second highest in Southeast Asia next to Indonesia’s 108,000.

But it has the highest number of active cases with more than 35,500 as the number of recoveries was low at 65,000 and the death toll at more than 2,000.

Most of the new cases were from the capital region, the epicenter of the disease at 2,114.

It was followed by region 7 or central Visayas with 279.

The health department said there were 2,919 late cases.

The data, according to the health department, came only from 70 out of 94 laboratories.

The health department there was one case that was previously reported to have recovered but has been validated to have died and already included in the count of new deaths.

Out of the 5,032 new cases reported on Sunday, 3,143 or 62 percent of the cases occurred within the recent 14 days from July 20 to August 2.

The top regions with cases in the recent two weeks were:
• NCR: 1,577 (50%)
• Region 4A: 786 (25%)
• Region 7: 299 (10%)

In Metro Manila, the following were the top five contributing cities:
• Quezon City: 569 (21%)
• Manila: 379 (14%)
• Makati: 339 (12%)
• Caloocan City: 151 (6%)
• Taguig: 132 (5%)

While in CALABARZON, 463 (40%) cases were from Cavite, followed by:
• Laguna: 326 (28%)
• Rizal 201 (17%)
• Batangas: 113 (10%)
• Quezon: 16 (1%)
*36 cases had no provincial detail.

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
DEATH PENALTY | Manila’s Catholic priests issue statement opposing the reimposition of death penalty
By Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-Large (August 9, 2020) – Roman Catholic clergy in all churches under the Archdiocese of Manila on Sunday rea
Published On: August 9, 2020
POOR RESPONSE | Philippines has lowest COVID-19 recovery rate among Southeast Asian countries
By Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-Large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippines has the lowest recovery rate of coronavirus infected patients as well a
Published On: August 8, 2020
MANILA’S DIRTY HARRY | Ex-Mayor Alfredo Lim dies, 90
By: Manny Mogato, News5 Editor-at-large (August 8, 2020) — The Philippine capital’s former tough mayor, known as “Dirty Harry” died on Satu
Published On: August 8, 2020
COVID-FREE PROVINCE | COVID-free Batanes pushes for face-to-face learning
By Von Belinario (August 07, 2020) – The governor of the country’s northernmost province of Batanes has been pushing a face-to-face learnin
Published On: August 7, 2020
BREWING STORM | Low pressure area may become a tropical depression and bring rains in virus-hit Philippines
(August 07, 2020) – The virus-hit Philippine capital may experience more rainy afternoons as a low pressure area east of the main island of L
Published On: August 7, 2020