MAY 16, 2019 – Malacañang on Thursday backed the move of Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. to recall the country’s diplomats to Canada after it failed to immediately ship back its garbage.
In a press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the recall was meant to persuade Canada to work faster in taking back their trash.
“That order of the recall is to persuade them to make it fast. Their refusal to bring the garbage back to their shores is disruptive of our diplomatic relations,” he said.
The Palace spokesman added that the letters for recall proved the seriousness of President Rodrigo Duterte with his demand to Canada.
The country failed to meet the May 15 deadline provided by Malacañang.
In a tweet on Wednesday, Locsin said his move was triggered by a report that Canada did not show up at a meeting with Customs.
Out of 103 containers of Ottawa’s trash, 77 remain in Manila and Subic ports.
Canada previously assured the Filipino public that it has been in talks with the Philippine government to resolve the issue.