Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: ‘TOKHANG’ | Philippines opens inquiry on deaths under Duterte’s drug war
‘TOKHANG’ | Philippines opens inquiry on deaths under Duterte’s drug war
July 1, 2020 , 11:52 AM

(July 1, 2020) – The Philippines has promised to open a deeper and thorough investigation on thousands of people killed in the government’s anti-illegal drug operations, the justice secretary has said.

Speaking at the 44th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, Menardo Guevarra on Tuesday said an inter-agency panel was formed and would release its findings by November.

“This review panel external to the Philippine National Police reevaluates these cases and examines the propriety of reinvestigating them or filing appropriate charges against erring law enforcement officers,” he said.

Guevarra was responding to a report by UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet, who told the Council of the situation in the Philippines, describing killings in the country as “widespread” and “systematic”.

Phil Robertson, Human Rights Watch deputy director for Asia, said the panel is “deeply flawed” as it will be led by the Justice department and will have among its members the country’s drug enforcement agency, which he said, is “directly implicated in the drug war.”

“At a time when the Philippines needs a serious impartial investigation into “drug war” killings, the panel is nothing more than a ruse to shield the country from international scrutiny,” Robertson said.

The former Chilean president said the government of President Rodrigo Duterte has been unwilling to hold accountable those behind them.

Since his assumption of office in 2016, more than 5,600 people, mostly poor drug users and street-level drug peddlers, had been killed in his brutal and bloody war on drugs policy. Human rights groups said there were more than 8,000 victims in the police’s drug war operations.

Duterte has actually began waging a war on drugs even earlier when he was still a lowly mayor of Davao City in Mindanao.

The campaign had attracted attention from the international community. His opponents had filed complaints against before the International Criminal Court (ICC).

A group of UN experts had asked the ICC to speed up and prioritize the preliminary examination of Duterte’s cases.

Guevarra said the panel, which he himself headed will also provide legal assistance to families against state forces involved, those “who overstepped legal bounds” in their operations.

“This review mechanism will not only reinforce accountability in this campaign, it will tighten the web of existing mechanisms to prevent impunity,” he added.

Duterte has solidly backed the police force engaged in the anti-drug campaign, assuring no one will go to jail for following his orders to kill drug suspects.

And with only two years left in office, he has not shown signs that the killings will come to an end anytime soon.

The UN human rights’ office report was requested by the Human Rights Council that sprung from a resolution introduced by Iceland, which asked an on-the-ground investigation of the situation in the Philippines.

“The findings of the report are very serious,” Bachelet said in her address to the council. “The report finds that the killings have been widespread and systematic – and they are ongoing.”

She added that human rights advocates, lawyers, trade unionists including journalists had been subjected to attacks and even killed in the country over the years.

“We also found near-total impunity, indicating an unwillingness by the State to hold to account perpetrators of extrajudicial killings,” Bachelet said. “Families of the victims, understandably, feel powerless, with the odds firmly stacked against justice.”

The Philippines has won only one conviction when a court found three Caloocan police officers guilty of killing of 17-year-old Kian delos Santos in 2018. (Christian de Lano Deiparine/MM)

More From News5
Ex-FHM model sa drug buy-bust
Nasabat sa dating modelo ang ilang pakete ng shabu, ecstacy at pipe para sa liquid shabu na ibinibenta raw sa online store.
Published On: March 2, 2020
2020 Tokyo Olympics, tuloy sa kabila ng banta ng COVID-19
Tiniyak ng local organizers na handa silang protektahan kontra COVID-19 ang libu-libong atleta na lalahok sa Olympics. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Sen. Drilon, naghain ng concurrent resolution sa ABS-CBN franchise extension
Mas mabilis ang proseso sa concurrent resolution dahil pag-apruba lamang ng Kamara at Senado ang kailangan para mapalawig hanggang June 30, 2020 ang prangkisa ng ABS-CBN. | via Greg Gregorio. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Apology ng ABS-CBN, tinanggap na ni Duterte
Tinanggap na ni Pres. Duterte ang paumanhin ng ABS-CBN sa hindi nito pag-ere ng kanyang political advertisements noong 2016 elections. Natanong din siya tungkol sa quo warranto petition ng Office of the Solicitor General na pinapawalang bisa ang prangkisa ng broadcast network. | via Maricel Halili For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Jovie Espenido, 'cleared' na sa droga sa region 6
Nilinaw ng PNP na hindi pa final ang desisyon dahil sa isasailalim pa sa national level validation ang pagkakadawit ni P/Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido sa drug watchlist. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Pag-iingat ng simbahan vs. COVID-19 ngayong Semana Santa
Maraming simbahan ngayong Ash Wednesday ang ibinudbod sa bunbunan imbes na ipinahid sa noo ang abo bilang pag-iingat laban sa coronavirus disease. | via Jen Calimon. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: March 2, 2020
Kinompronta ni Calida ang isang ABS CBN reporter
"Ikaw, lagi mo akong binabanatan ha." Kinompronta ni Solicitor General Jose Calida ang isang reporter ng ABS-CBN nang manghingi ito ng kopya ng petition for quo warranto para sa pagpapawalang-bisa ng prangkisa ng network.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Nilinaw ni Sec. Panelo ang naging confusion sa pagkansela sa VFA
Ipinaliwanag ni Sec. Salvador Panelo na nagkalituhan daw sa tenses na ginamit kaya magkaiba ang naging pahayag nila ni Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana tungkol sa pagpapasa ng termination notice ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa Amerika. Sinabi rin ni Panelo na mas mahalagang malaman na hindi magbabago ang isip ng Pangulo sa isyu.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Babaeng astronaut na bumalik sa mundo, gumawa ng record
328 na araw nananatili sa space ang American astronaut na si Christina Koch. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Inflation forecast para sa 2020, itinaas ng BSP
Posibleng pumalo sa 3% ang inflation o kabuuang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga bilihin at serbisyo ngayong taon, batay sa pagtataya ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph.
Published On: February 17, 2020
Top Stories
RESURGENCE | Global coronavirus cases pass 11 million mark
WASHINGTON, July 3 (Reuters) – Global coronavirus cases exceeded 11 million on Friday, according to a Reuters tally, marking another miles
Published On: July 4, 2020
STEALTH MARTIAL LAW | Human rights group expresses concern over signing of anti-terrorism bill
By Manny Mogato, News5 editor-at-large (July 4, 2020) — A New York-based human rights group has expressed concerns over President Rodrigo Duterte
Published On: July 4, 2020
FRIENDLY FIRE | Duterte talks to soldiers and police to defuse tension after fatal shooting incident
(July 04, 2020) – President Rodrigo Duterte hurriedly flew to a military base in the south to defuse tension between the army and police afte
Published On: July 4, 2020
PUSHBACK | Opposition to take anti-terror law to court
(July 03, 2020) – The small political opposition and other groups against a draconian bill signed into law by President Rodrigo Duterte vowed
Published On: July 3, 2020
SECURITY LAW | HK declares ‘Liberate Hong Kong’ slogan illegal
HONG KONG, July 3 (Reuters) – The popular protest slogan “Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times” connotes separatism or
Published On: July 3, 2020