Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: TRANSPORT PLANES | US delivers two C130 planes as part of military aid
TRANSPORT PLANES | US delivers two C130 planes as part of military aid
July 12, 2020 , 06:55 PM

By Manny Mogato, News5 editor-at-large

(July 12, 2020)— The United States is set to deliver this month one of two second-hand C130 Hercules aircraft to the Philippine Air Force under a foreign military financing program, a defense department spokesman said on Sunday.

Arsenio Andolong said the Philippines needs the aircraft for its logistical requirements to bring medical supplies, including test kits and PPEs, as the military redirected large efforts to respond to a pandemic.

The Philippines has more than 50,000 coronavirus infections and the highest active cases in Southeast Asia. The death toll has risen to more than 1,300, second-highest in the region next to Indonesia.

“At this point in time, we really need more transport aircraft for HADR (humanitarian assistance and disaster relief) like transport of PPEs (personal protective equipment). We need those C-130s from US,” said Andolong.

“Although this (procurement) was planned long ago, (Defense) Secretary (Delfin) Lorenzana mentioned in one of our recent meetings, planning our response against COVID-19, that we should have prioritized the procurement of transport aircraft which we need during this pandemic.”

The Philippines has only five C130 planes, all refurbished aircraft from the United States and acquired throughy military assistance program. Two are in flying conditions. The rest were under maintenance.

One of the planes was used to transport PPEs bought from China and the other to deliver supplies to the provinces.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana has stopped ferrying stranded residents from Manila to conserve the planes flying hours and delay maintenance.

Andolong said the two aircraft cost is about 2.5 billion pesos but the Philippine government is only shelling out 1.6 billion pesos.

About 900 million pesos, a portion if the acquisition cost will be shouldered by the US under the Foreign Military Financing program.

Andolong said he was not sure when the negotiations for the aircraft
acquisition started but it was fast tracked by the pandemic.

Lorenzana had a discussion with the modernization program and bilateral relations with US defense chief Mark Esper last month

One of the aircraft, is due to arrive the country this month while the second is due for delivery before the end of the year.

The previous administration of President Benigno Aquino III also procured two C-130s from US for $55 million (P2.75 billion), $20 million (P1 billion) of which was shouldered by US through its FMF program.

One of the aircraft was delivered in April 2016 and the other was delivered six months later.

President Rodrigo Duterte, who declared in 2017 that he would not accept second-hand equipment from US, knew about the procurement of the two C-130s, Andolong said.

“There are no acqusition that do not pass Malacanang, all (procurement under the AFP) modernization passes through him,” Andolong said.

The defense and military establishments are aware of the president’s pronouncement that he no longer wants second-hand equipment from US, Andolong said: “I think he is not inflexible. He listens when you justify an acquisition.”

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
COVID-FREE PROVINCE | COVID-free Batanes pushes for face-to-face learning
By Von Belinario (August 07, 2020) – The governor of the country’s northernmost province of Batanes has been pushing a face-to-face learnin
Published On: August 7, 2020
BREWING STORM | Low pressure area may become a tropical depression and bring rains in virus-hit Philippines
(August 07, 2020) – The virus-hit Philippine capital may experience more rainy afternoons as a low pressure area east of the main island of L
Published On: August 7, 2020
COVID CASES RISE | Philippines reports COVID cases exceed 122,000, 8th in Asia
(August 07, 2020) – The Philippines’ total number of confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases has risen to more than 122,000, th
Published On: August 7, 2020
MISINFORMATION | Facebook takes down pro-Trump ads for false posts
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Facebook Inc is temporarily banning a Republican political action committee, the Committee to Defend the President,
Published On: August 7, 2020
SEX CRIMES | Mexico holds cult leader for rape, human trafficking, child porn
LOS ANGELES, Aug 6 (Reuters) – The leader of a Mexico-based church that claims over 1 million followers worldwide was ordered on Thursday
Published On: August 7, 2020