Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: ‘UNFOUNDED’ | PNP disputes alleged drug war abuses on ICC report
‘UNFOUNDED’ | PNP disputes alleged drug war abuses on ICC report
December 6, 2019 , 02:16 PM

DECEMBER 6, 2019 – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Friday defended anew the legitimacy of its anti-illegal drugs operations as the International Criminal Court hopes to finish next year its preliminary examination of the controversial drug war.

In a statement, the PNP slammed the report of the ICC’s Office of the Prosecutor which underlined alleged abuses such as rape in the anti-narcotics campaign of President Rodrigo Duterte. The report was released on Thursday.

“The PNP maintains the regularity of all police operations in its major campaigns against crime, illegal drugs, and terrorism where the possibility of armed confrontation with suspects is always present,” the PNP said in a statement

“The rehashed narratives of alleged abuses remain to be unfounded and devoid of truth from the beginning but had been repeatedly told and retold over and over to make sound factual,” it added.

The ICC prosecutor has noted in its report allegations of rape perpetuated by policemen against women linked to drug suspects.

It also mentioned cases of vigilante-killings and individuals “subjected to serious ill-treatment and abuses prior to being killed by state actors and other unidentified assailants.”

The Philippines withdrew from the Rome Statute of the ICC in 2018 but it took effect only last March 17.

However, the ICC prosecutor continued the examination of Duterte’s bloody war, asserting that the court retains jurisdiction over crimes committed during the time when the country is still party to the Statute.

Duterte assumed office in 2016.

Several advocacy groups have demanded an improved drug war that respects human rights and sought accountability from erring police officers.

Last July, the United Nations Human Rights Council also adopted a resolution of Iceland which called for a probe into the human rights situation in the country.

Over 5,500 drug suspects were killed since 2016 based on latest government data, but human rights groups alleged that the death toll could be as high as 27,000.

Opposition leader and Vice President Leni Robredo earlier promised to end the “senseless killings” in the drug war after Duterte appointed her in the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs early November.

But her stint was cut immediately after 19 days over trust issues, with Duterte calling out her meeting with foreign bodies for consultation and demand for classified information. (Karen Macalalad/MM)

 

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
VIRTUAL DATING | Tinder boosts growth amid pandemic
Aug 4 (Reuters) – Match Group Inc forecast current-quarter sales above Wall Street expectations after beating quarterly estimates, as demand
Published On: August 5, 2020
ERRATIC DATA | Philippines may likely become Southeast Asia’s virus epicenter in a week
(August 05, 2020) – The Philippines may likely emerge this week as the epicenter of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) despite a decline
Published On: August 5, 2020
NEW PROTECTION | Philippines requires face shields in public transport starting August 15
(August 05, 2020) – Authorities are requiring the public using any mode of transportation to wear face shields, in addition to face masks, st
Published On: August 5, 2020
REGULATING SOCIAL MEDIA | Lorenzana upholds freedom of speech, disagrees with military chief
By Manny Mogato, News5 editor-at-large (August 5, 2020) — The Philippines’ defense chief on Wednesday said the anti-terrorism law should not be
Published On: August 5, 2020
DOUBLE WHAMMY | Tropical Storm Isaias brings tornadoes to US Northeast
NEW YORK, Aug 4 (Reuters) – Tropical Storm Isaias killed at least four people on Tuesday as it made its way up the U.S. Atlantic Coast, in
Published On: August 5, 2020