MAY 16, 2019 — Malacañang said on Thursday that it will leave it to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to decide if it wants to suspend the proclamation of the midterm election winners, amid concerns about technical glitches.
“Nasa Comelec ang decision to suspend the proclamations. Teritoryo naman nila iyan. About sa glitches, I think the Comelec should do something about that,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
This followed the admission by the Comelec of glitches in the transmission of votes for seven hours.
Panelo, however, maintained that the election results are credible.
“I think they are credible, definitely. May remedyo naman na manual count to confirm the votes. Ang nanghihinayang ako yung sa mga 1.1 million over-shaded votes,” he said.
To prevent glitches in the next elections, Panelo advised the Comelec to remind voters against overshading their ballots. He said the glitches might gave occurred because the voters picked more than the required 12 senatoriables.
Panelo also suggested the use of touchscreen machines for selecting candidates.
At present, the Comelec conducts manual and electronic counting for the certificates of canvass (COC).
So far, the poll body issued 25 COCs from Misamis Occidental, Navotas, Cagayan, Bacolod, Cotabato, Bohol, Cavite, Albya, Siquijor, Oriental Mindoro, Guimaras, Maguindanao, Tarlac, Bataan, Agusan del Sur, Cebu, Pangasinan, Aurora and Leyte.
Other COCs came from overseas votes in Brussels, Bangkok, Vientiane, Paris, Budapest and Buenos Aires.