Loading
Breaking
Now Reading: VP ASSURES DUTERTE | Robredo ‘will not disclose’ sensitive info on drug war
VP ASSURES DUTERTE | Robredo ‘will not disclose’ sensitive info on drug war
November 18, 2019 , 12:25 PM

NOVEMBER 18, 2019 – Vice President Leni Robredo on Monday assured the president she will keep the integrity of state secrets, including all “sensitive information”the confidential list of high-value targets in the campaign against illegal drugs.

Robredo, the leader of the opposition party, has reacted to remarks the president and his allies that she will be removed from her anti-illegal drug czar position if she shares state secrets with foreign individual and entities.

“Iyong assurance naman, lahat na sensitive information, hindi idi-disclose,” Robredo said in a chance interview with reporters before the Senate plenary hearing on her office’s budget for 2020.

Robredo has been a vocal critic against the controversial “drug war “ due to large numbers of “senseless killings”.

She has demanded in “private communications” to law enforcement agencies the list of high-value drug targets last week. But the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency questioned her intentions and made public her requests.

Robredo had met with senior representatives from United States law enforcement agencies and intends to do more talks with other countries to fight the drug problem.

Officials from the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte had expressed concerns she may have shared with these foreign government officials some official secrets.

DUTERTE’S WARNING

In a television interview on Saturday, Duterte threatened to fire Robredo as co-chairperson of the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs following her demand to access all documents regarding the drug war.

Robredo is likewise open to an international probe if authorities fail to stop alleged abuses in the campaign, which killed over 5,500 drug suspects since the start of the Duterte administration.

“She may not realize it but she could be treading on dangerous grounds. It could be an overreach of the granted authority hence the reminder,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said, explaining Duterte’s statement.

Revealing state secrets would also be “damaging” to the welfare of the Filipinos and can be considered as a crime under the Revised Penal Code, he added.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr., meanwhile, believed the warning is Duterte’s way of saying Robredo is “now in his complete confidence in his government.”

“No secrets. Total trust. Reciprocate, Leni,” he wrote in Twitter.

Senator Panfilo Lacson, former police national chief, also described the remark as “fair warning.”

“Nobody, not even the second highest official of the land should be allowed to share with anybody, much less a foreign country classified information that could compromise national security,” he said. (Karen Macalalad / MM)

More From News5
Nasa 33,000 sa Cebu, tumanggap ng ayuda kahit ‘di kwalipikado
Bukod sa COVID-19, pinoproblema na rin sa Cebu ang nasa 33,000 na nakakuha ng ayuda pero hindi naman qualified. Mayroon din daw nasa 1,000 na doble ang nakuha.
Published On: July 12, 2020
PNP Central Visayas chief, tiwalang makababalik din sa GCQ ang Cebu City
#SaTotooLang | Tiwala ang hepe ng PNP Central Visayas na kaya nang bumalik sa general community quarantine ng Cebu City sa loob ng dalawang linggo, na unang sinabi ni Secretary Roy Cimatu. Aniya, kahit patuloy ang pag-akyat ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 sa lungsod ay dapat din daw tignan ang bilang ng mga gumagaling sa sakit.
Published On: July 12, 2020
'Emerging COVID-19 hotspots,' binabantayan na ng DOH
Tinututukan na ng Department of Health ang anim na lugar sa Visayas dahil sa onti-onting pagdami ng mga kaso ng #COVID19 dito, kabilang na ang Cebu.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pagkamatay ng mga isda sa Laguna Lake, 'di raw dahil sa COVID-19
Nilinaw ng Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources na hindi ang COVID-19 ang naging dahilan sa pagkamatay ng 800 metric tons ng isda sa Laguna Lake, na nagdulot ng pagkahina ng bentahan sa mga palengke. | via Gary de Leon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Pamimigay ng PWD IDs sa Q.C., itinigil muna
Pansamantalang itinigil ng Quezon City ang pag-issue nito ng PWD card matapos madiskubreng nakakuha rin ng card na nagbibigay discount sa ilang serbisyo ang mga wala namang kapansanan. | via Jenny Dongon
Published On: July 12, 2020
Grade 7 student, viral matapos i-enroll ang sarili
Viral sa social media ang kwento ng isang batang ini-enroll ang sarili sa isang computer shop sa Caloocan. Ang ama naman ng bata, aminado ring hindi pamilyar sa makabagong paraan ng pag-enroll para sa nalalapit na pasukan. | via JC Cosico
Published On: July 12, 2020
Is Philippines ready for the blended learning scheme?
The kid who went viral online after struggling to enroll via piso-net, or coin-operated prepaid Internet, now faces an even bigger problem: He has no gadgets for DepEd's blended learning scheme.
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOLE, planong magbigay ng P40-B ayuda sa mga manggagawa
Planong magpatupad ang DOLE ng P40-B wage subsidy para sa mga manggagawang apektado ng COVID-19 pandemic. Nasa 90,000 na kasi ang nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa krisis.
Published On: July 12, 2020
OWWA, nanganganib ma-bankrupt dahil sa COVID-19 pandemic
Nagbabala ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration na malapit na itong ma-bankrupt dahil sa patuloy nitong pagtulong sa mga OFW na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa #COVID19 pandemic. | via Marie Ann Los Baños
Published On: July 12, 2020
DOH, ipinaliwanag ang mga kasalukuyang datos sa COVID-19
Ipinaliwanag ng Department of Health na kahit pataas ang COVID-19 cases sa bansa, gradual ito at hindi biglaan. Bumaba rin daw ang positivity rate dahil sa lumalawak na testing capacity. Naobserbahan naman ng kagawaran ang emerging hotspot (lugar kung saan dumarami ang kaso) sa Cebu City, Cebu province, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Leyte, at Samar.
Published On: July 12, 2020
Top Stories
RELAXING CURBS | More customers for dine-in services allowed by July 21
(July 14, 2020) – The Philippines will further relax quarantine protocols next week as it grapples with the economic downturn in its effort t
Published On: July 14, 2020
“OURS IS OURS” | Majority of Filipinos want PH to assert arbitral ruling on South China Sea
(July 14, 2020) – Seven out of 10 Filipinos want the Philippine government to assert the arbitral ruling it won over China four years ago in
Published On: July 14, 2020
MARITIME DISPUTE | Philippines reiterates call on China to comply with arbitration ruling
By Manny Mogato, News5 editor-at-large (July 14, 2020) – The Philippines on Tuesday once again called on China to comply with the ruling of t
Published On: July 14, 2020
NEARLY OVERWHELMED | Major public and private hospitals in the capital declare full capacity for COVID-19 cases
(July 14, 2020) – Several tertiary government-run and private hospitals in the capital region on Tuesday declared full capacity of allocated
Published On: July 14, 2020
OLIGARCH-BUSTING | Duterte was not referring to ABS-CBN owners on his oligarch comment – spokesman
(July 14, 2020) – President Rodrigo Duterte was not alluding to the owners of the country’s largest broadcast network when he boasted he ha
Published On: July 14, 2020